Friday, 17 February 2012

Learning Log Feb 17

I just realized I've only done 7 blog posts so I decided to do today.

What we did today:

Today, we talked about 'note making' and we took notes on it. Note making is turning notes into your own words and not copying it out of the book. We talked about the 'Dos and Don'ts' of it as well. For example, Do make abbreviations and symbols. Don't write down the whole sentence. Avoid using the, a, and, etc. Then we looked at the notes that we took yesterday about the middle ages from the 'pathways' text book. We got examples from some of the people in the class and we looked at theirs, compared it to ours, and also gave them tips for next time they take notes. Ms Lees thought that we needed a break and so then afterward, we watched some 'youtube videos' called 'Horrible History.' They were stories that were made into little skits or even into music videos. Certainly a good way to end off the week.

Why we did this:

The reason we took notes on note taking is because we will be starting a project on the middle ages and we will have to take notes. It's good to go over how to take them before we actually start the project. We looked at other peoples note taking because Ms Lees wanted us to be able to see what the person did that we also did, and to also be able to figure out what they could have done better. The reason we watched the Horrible History videos is because some people find it easier to remember something from hearing and watching it visually rather than reading it out of a text book. Everyone has their own ways of remembering things.

Connections/ reflections:

It will be good to know how to take notes in the future because if we ever have to do a research project, it will be good to know how to take notes properly and how to do them fast. Also, it's good to know how to take notes because if you ever want to study for a test, it make it easier for you to figure out your own notes rather than copying it out of the text book. You may even get caught for plagiarizing.
For me, taking the notes was fairly easy. I was able to find all the information and put it all in to an outline. That's the easiest way of note taking for me. Watching the videos I think may of helped me a bit because whenever I think of the Crusades, I always think of the news report video. Also I have that 'I'm a Night' song stuck in my head..... I kind of think I prefer reading it out of the text book because I seem to process the information better than visually. Visually works for me but not as well.

Homework:

'There Will Be Wolves' chapter 9 -Friday
We will be in the library on Monday, Tuesday for researching for our projects
Test on There Will Be Wolves - Wednesday ( DON'T PANIC, quite a lot of the questions are multiple choice/ true or false)

Tips:

Come to class (well, the library) prepared and focused because Ms Lees will be marking us on how we stay on task and the amount of notes we have.

Just to Clarify:

The project we are doing is on someone in the Middle Ages. Ms Lees will be drawing from a hat what person you will be researching. So don't start taking notes till Monday when you find out what person you get.

No comments:

Post a Comment